This is already the final week before the science fair. Next week on Tuesday is the science fair where we will present our project. To get some final inspiration we decided to visit the Dutch Design Week in Eindhoven.
Sadly there weren’t any fountain projects so we din’t get much inspiration for our own fountain, however there were some interesting projects about 3D printing. There was someone who created a 3D printer that uses clay instead of plastic .
It was a fun day and we did even see queen Maxima!
Back to our own project. Last week we finalized the shape of the tubes. This week we will experience with different nozzles. After some different shapes and test this is the final result:
So the final objective for us is to find a statue where can add our vortex nozzle and raindrop tube. After some research on the internet we decided it would be fun to 3D print a water pokemon and make a fountain of it. After some searching on the internet we found an Lapras and a Kingler.
We modified the files so we can 3D print them with the ultimaker. We also added our raindrop tube and vortex nozzle.
The statues will be printed this weekend for the science fair next Tuesday.
Tuesday the 18th of October we presented our project to the rest of the students that participate in the advanced prototyping minor. It was an interesting morning where everyone could ask questions to each other and help each-other out.
The rest of the week we focused on designing different tubes with our own support structure inside of it.
we know the ultimaker is capable of printing on an angle of 45 degrees without using support structure. So for our first design we used this angle to support the tube. We also printed just a tube without support structure to see what happens. It will print actually without collapsing but the quality of the tube is very poor. Therefore if you just use a circular tube in a statue we think the statue will collapse.
For our final design we tried the shape of a raindrop. This is the design we will eventually use in the end, because with this design there is no material inside the tube. We tested this shape with a complex tube and the result was good. In rhino you can make the raindrop then use the sweep1rail function, important is that the style function is set to “roadlike top”. This way the raindrop will stay oriented the same way.
Next wee we will focus on the final nozzle design and making a statue for the science fair.
This week we wanted to improve our child’s toy with modular fountain nozzles but when we talked with our teacher we came to the conclusion that a modular system isn’t really the best way to do it. This is because a benefit of 3D printing is that you can print the object at once, so it is completely water sealed. We decided to make a complete print with the nozzle and the piece where the garden hose needs to be connected.
left you see the final modular system we tried. It was better then the first one but still not completely water tight. On the right you see the nozzle and water mount in one piece. In the video below you can see the improvement.
After this we quit with the idea of making a modular system for a child’s toy. We came up with a new idea: The problem with making tubes in a 3d model and print it with an ultimaker is that it needs support structure. The problem is that you can’t remove this support structure. You can print with an 3d printer that uses support structure what dissolves in water but this is way more expensive.
Therefore our solution. We want to design our own support structure that doesn’t interfere with the waterflow or pressure. We want to make a grasshopper model that adds support structure to every tube pattern. This way you can take any random 3d model. Put some tubes in it and then we let grasshopper generate the support structure.
This week we printed the different nozzles and tested them. Sadly the result was quite disappointing. As you can see in the videos below the surface of the nozzles was to big for the water pressure (as seen in the first video). What we also discovered is that de box isn’t completely water sealed. So when the pressure was high enough, the water leaked out of the sides (as seen in the second video).
One positive outcome of this experiment was a new idea for the project. We where very intrigued by the idea of a modular system. We want to implement this system in a child’s toy. We want to design a toy with a hand pump to increase water pressure and a box where different nozzles can be used on. This way the child can play with different fountains. We also want to make the box and nozzles transparent, that way you can see the water flown and alter direction because of the nozzles. Because of this we think the child may learn something about the way water reacts.
For next week we will think of a better way to implement a modular system for a child’s toy
During the second week we decided that it would be a good idea to create our own different nozzles and test them. We first created these nozzles in CAD programs like solidworks:
We also created a small box that would be used as a platform for the different nozzles and as a passage for the water. This box and nozzles were then 3D printed:
After about 23 hours of printing this was the end result:
Next week we are gonig to test the different nozzles to see their effects.
Let’s get started! After meeting our expert we started thinking of ideas how to make a new fountain while using the 3d printing technique. The idea is to create something that can only be done or is way easier to create with 3d printing instead of the regular tube fountain design.
In the first week we decided to focus on research and look for reference pictures and videos on the internet. This are the different fountain designs we came up with:
We also searched for interesting nozzles:
Some interesting videos:
Next week we will discuss these findings with our expert Jun Wu